Download our FREE smartphone app today!
SEN & Disabilities
Information on where the Local Authority’s Local Offer can be found at: Haringey
Thank you for taking the time to visit the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) section of our website. All students have the right to achieve their maximum academic and social potential. At the Academy we believe that all students have learning differences rather than learning difficulties and it is our policy to identify and assess these differences and ensure that learning is supported and differentiated to ensure outstanding progress is made by all students.
We offer a range of support to develop teachers expertise and additional support within the classroom, this includes; drop-in sessions, in class training and observations from the SENCO, as well as specialist advice/input within the classroom. We also have a learning resource base in the Academy where students can access specialist intervention as appropriate.
You will find detailed provision maps of what Coleraine Park can currently offer for your child, depending on their needs and the support they require. You can also find questions from current parents and students. If you have any additional questions, concerns or worries, please do not hesitate to contact a member of the SEND team.
The SENCO is Ms Dawn Venn
Harris Primary Academy Coleraine Park provision for pupils with SEND
Harris Primary Academy Coleraine Park is committed to providing an appropriate and high quality education for all children. We believe that all children, including those identified as having Special Educational Needs as well as every other student, have a common entitlement to a broad and balanced academic and social curriculum. This curriculum should be accessible to them, and they will be fully included in all aspects of Academy life. We recognise that pupils learn at different rates and that there are many factors affecting achievement, including ability, emotional state, age and maturity. We are particularly aware of the needs of our pupils, for whom maturity is a crucial factor in terms of readiness to learn. We believe that many pupils, at some time in their Academy career, may experience difficulties which affect their learning, and we recognise that these may be long or short term. At the Academy we aim to identify these needs as they arise and provide teaching and learning contexts which enable every child to achieve to his or her full potential.
It is also worth noting that from 1st September 2014, there were some changes to SEN legislation, following the Children’s and Families Act 2014. A summary of key changes are below, but please visit the link at the bottom of the page for further information.
The SEN Code of Practice key changes
The Code of Practice (2015) covers the 0-25 age range and includes guidance relating to disabled children and young people as well as those with SEN
- There is a clearer focus on the participation of children and young people and parents in decision-making at individual and strategic levels
- There is a stronger focus on high aspirations and on improving outcomes for children and young people
- It includes guidance on the joint planning and commissioning of services to ensure close co-operation between education, health and social care
- It includes guidance on publishing a Local Offer of support for children and young people with SEN or disabilities
- For children and young people with more complex needs a co-ordinated assessment process and the new 0-25 Education, Health and Care plan (EHC plan) replace statements and Learning Difficulty Assessments (LDAs)
- There is a greater focus on support that enables those with SEN to succeed in their education and make a successful transition to adulthood
To see the new SEN Code of Guidance 2015, please visit here.
If you have any concerns about support for SEND children, please contact the SENCo (Mrs Venn) via the school office or email D.Venn@harrisprimarycolerainepark.org.uk. If school is unable to resolve the issue, please follow the complaints policy.